Jané’s Chicken Curry Recipe
Get ready to make Colin’s Favourite Curry! Ahead of Thursday 28 May, gather these ingredients and prep what you can before we kick off at 5:30pm to allow for maximum deliciousness and a good time.INGREDIENTS LIST AND PREP EQUIPMENT
You will need the following for 2 People.
1 medium onion finely chopped
1 tbs ginger grated or minced
1 tbs garlic grated or minced
2 large tomatoes finely chopped OR 1 tin of whole peeled/chopped tomatoes
400g chicken (breast or thigh) cut into 2-3cm cubes
Vegetarian option: replace chicken with potatoes
and two to three other vegetables such as carrots, cauliflower, canned chickpeas etc. and cut accordingly.
1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
4 tbs oil
Salt and sugar to season
OPTIONAL: green chillies if you’d like some extra heat
Gather your spices
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp garam masala
OR you can use 2 tbs curry powder if you don’t have access to these spices
Prepare your sides
Basmati rice cooked to instructions Naan bread or papadums
. To make cooking a breeze, you will need:
• A medium to large frying pan with lid
• Rice cooker or medium saucepan with lid
• Wooden spoon
• Chopping boards
• Sharp knife
2. Add tomatoes, salt to taste and cook until cooked through. Add spices and mix well. Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes. If mixture is too dry, add a splash of warm water.
3. Add chicken and mix well. Cook covered, stirring occasionally, for 5 to 6 minutes. Give it a good stir and add 1⁄2 cup of warm water if mixture is too dry. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add fresh green chillies for extra heat.
4. Add coconut cream and mix. Simmer for 5 minutes. Taste, then season with salt if needed. Turn off heat and allow the curry to rest.
5. Serve with steamed basmati rice or naan bread.